Buncombe was formed in 1791 from Burke and Rutherford. It was named in honor of Colonel Edward Buncombe, a Revolutionary soldier, who was wounded and captured at the Battle of Germantown, October 4, 1777, and in May, 1778, died a paroled prisoner in Philadelphia. It is in the western section of the State and is bounded by McDowell, Henderson, Haywood, Madison, and Yancey counties. The present land area is 656.55 square miles and the 1990 population was 174,778. Asheville, named in honor of Samuel Ashe, Governor of North Carolina, 1796-1798, is the county seat.
NOTE: The information on this page is copyrighted, and must not be used for any commercial purposes or reproduced in any form (printed, electronic, or otherwise) without prior permission. The content herein is copyrighted, except where previous copyright applies.
Products such as textual material, electronic and multimedia resources and materials created, authored and/or prepared by Diane Miller and / or Golden Branches are copyrighted in content, presentation and intellectual, creative origin. These electronically available materials are considered intellectual property and intended for use for educational, academic and research purposes and are not intended for commercial sale. Electronic versions of images, and all other graphical material, animation and digital renditions of video material are protected by copyright as intellectual property unless noted otherwise.
© 1996 - 2010